Back to Top
Physical exercise are physical activities that offer a healthy variety to a sedentary existence. Examples of physical exercise are running, walking, cycling, swimming and fitness. Physical exercise improves health, prevents diseases and increases mental resilience. Moreover, the body gets stronger.
Physical exercise is generally seen as a good way to keep in shape and also keep body weight within healthy limits. The various types of exercise have a different effect on these two factors. So is swimming very suitable to improve condition, but many people don’t really lose weight from this sport. On the other hand, running is a method to significantly lose weight in a very short time.
A good fitness programme includes activities aimed at improving endurance, muscle strength and agility:
- Endurance: activities to boost the condition of heart and blood vessels.
- Muscle strength and physique: resistance training to maintain sufficient strength, muscular endurance and fat-free body mass.
- Agility: exercises to develop and maintain mobility.
Cycling, brisk walking, gardening or sports (moderate-intensity physical activities) have a beneficial effect on health. Running and other run sports, such as soccer, hockey, rugby, etc. (intense physical activities) will also improve the condition of heart and lungs. Regular exercise makes muscles and bones stronger and improves condition. Physical exercise reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. One will feel fitter and sleep better.
- Start slowly and build up activities gradually.
- For everyone, a suitable exercise activity can be found, which one likes and which suits the person in question.
- Discuss the choice of exercise with a doctor, if necessary.
- Outdoor activities, such as biking and hiking, are also suitable.
- Get more out of activities by increasing the duration, intensity or frequency.
- Exercise on as many days of the week as possible.
- Adjust the exercise to the possibilities of that moment.
- Do exercises for at least 5 days a week at least half an hour per day.
- Alternate inaction regularly with walking or standing.
- Lack of physical exercise is worldwide the fourth cause of death, after cardiovascular diseases, cancer and infectious diseases.