Applied kinesiology (AK) is a natural treatment method, in which muscle tests are used to find out where, why and when the balance in people has been disrupted and at the same time how that balance can be restored.
The body makes clear what is bothering by unconscious muscle tension. Muscle tests enable us to detect blockages and disruptions in the balance of meridians, the Chinese energy system. The balance can be restored by holding certain acupuncture points or by stroking over a meridian. The relationship between muscles and meridians forms the basis of applied kinesiology nowadays. The kinesiologist uses the muscle test to acquire information and guides people in the process of awareness. This will activate the self-healing capability in people.
According to applied kinesiology, many illnesses and mental disorders can be determined using these muscle tests. For example, this method can help in case of stagnation of physical recovery processes, disruption of the energy system after overload, support in change processes, fatigue symptoms and food allergies.
A few examples of symptoms that can be treated this way are:
- Digestive disorders: constipation, heartburn, spastic bowel.
- Respiratory problems: asthma, sore throat, ear problems.
- Hormonal disorders: menstrual disorders, menopause symptoms, fertility problems.
- Addictions: smoking, drugs, eating, drinking.
- Learning and concentration problems: hyperactivity, such as ADHD and ADD, autism.
- Emotional problems: depression, anxiety, phobias,
The muscle test itself goes like this. One of the limbs (an arm, a leg) or the head is brought into a prescribed position and then the kinesiologist pushes it in a certain direction. If the person in question yields, the muscle examined is ‘weak’ and if easily counter-pressure can be given, the muscle examined is ‘strong’.
Applied kinesiology is suitable for anyone interested in the how and why of his or her physical symptoms or mental imbalance. A restored balance makes someone feel better, even though he or she is still medically ill. A person with diabetes cannot be cured by a kinesiologist, but can be helped feeling better and more energetic, despite his illness. This will lead to increased well-being.
- Kinesiology (kinematics) is scientifically based, but applied kinesiology doesn’t make use of a scientific method. Critics argue that therefore the effect of this therapy has not been proven. Some call applied kinesiology quackery.
- Applied kinesiology is not just for people who have a problem, but can also be used to support personal development.
- It’s a self-help method, which can be applied by people to themselves or to their loved ones.